Background Probability

The Agnostic Popular Front has moved to its new home at Skeptic Ink, and will henceforth be known as Background Probability. Despite the relocation and rebranding, we will continue to spew the same low-fidelity high-quality bullshit that you've come to expect.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Reading this week - C.S. Lewis

This week I am reading The Abolition of Man and The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis, on the suggestion of a friend. The latter book I’ve read at least once or twice before, the former I cannot now recall. Non-fiction and straight apologetic does not seem to stick in my mind so well as mythic stories – and doubtless I am far from alone in this respect.

I have previously found Lewis’s vision of the afterlife quite compelling, all the more so because his collection of archetypal dramatis personæ so perfectly recapitulates the various sorts of persons with whom we are familiar, for better or worse. It will no doubt feel bizarre to once again experience his imagery and metaphors from the perspective of a freethinker. No doubt our lot are at least loosely caricatured at some point in the narrative.

No comments: